A lot of people think that Google and other search engines have the power to index most web pages for a certain search query. However, the truth is that there is a large part of the internet that Google’s crawling spiders cannot access. This untraceable part by crawling spiders is known as the Dark Web. Despite dark web being linked to cyber-criminals, it is also vastly used by people with good intentions such as whistle-blowers, bloggers, bitcoin enthusiasts, and other individuals that prefer to have their online practices done beneath the surface of the internet.
Technically, anything from firearms to illegal drugs can be bought or sold on Bitcoin. Ideally, e-commerce on the dark web is completely dependent on bitcoin. Although a lot of darknet markets such as Dream Market sell illicit drugs, there are those that are fully geared towards marketing their legal products and services.
So, what is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is a form of digital currency that is created electronically. This currency is not controlled by anyone. It is not printed just like euros or dollars. With bitcoin, you can freely buy things online; meaning it is the same thing as buying with other currencies the likes of dollars that are also traded digitally. However, what makes Bitcoin different is the fact that it is decentralized. In fact, there is no institution or body that controls the bitcoin network. Bitcoin was founded by Satoshi Nakamoto, who is a software developer. The idea was to give rise to the independence of the currency, free from central authority, one that would electronically transfer payments almost instantly with low transaction rates.
Here, the virtual currency Bitcoin has been based on mathematics as opposed to other currencies that are presented in the form of silver or gold. Today, so many businesses and individuals are using mathematical formula software programs to produce bitcoins. Some of the key characteristics that set it apart from other currencies include:
- It is an easy set up – Unlike conventional currencies that are governed by bureaucracy where setting up an account is a tough task; here, setting up an address will only take you a few seconds. Also, you are charged no fees for setting up, and no questions are asked.
- Anonymity – If you wish, you can hold as many accounts as you want. All the addresses are not linked to any names or personal identity.
- Decentralization – Here, the network is governed by one central authority. Should any network go offline, the money keeps flowing!
- Transparency – Every detail that concerns the network on transactions is stored. In fact, if you have any publicly used bitcoin, anyone can tell how many bitcoins the address has.
- It makes quick transactions – Immediately your bitcoin payment is processed, it is delivered in a matter of minutes anywhere you want.
The dark web is today famous for its online black markets. In these markets, intrepid shoppers are free to use bitcoin alongside other cryptocurrency to buy anything they want. Dream Market is an online black market that offers drugs, drug paraphernalia, digital goods, and even erotica. Before accessing sites such as Dream Market, it is advised to always have a VPN (with good encryption) and be sure to use it with Tor. Using VPN along with Tor will make one’s online activity anonymous.
Although not many dark web users have learned of it, Dream Market remains to be the oldest dark web marketplace. Dream Market was created to support the free market trade around the world. With it operating regardless of jurisdiction, the market no longer follows the local regulations. This means one can very easily get products that are not legalized in their country. It is in a line of escrow markets supporting the Tor network and the Bitcoin currency.
Anyone can browse the Dream Market, but cannot sell or buy without an account. Here, just like in other marketplaces, bitcoin is the leading currency.